Colorado Early Colleges Mission Statement: All students, regardless of background or skill level, will have the opportunity to pursue a growth mindset that will allow them to achieve mastery and to demonstrate they can succeed in school, in college, and in their chosen career. No exceptions. No excuses.
Full Time: Yes
Supervisor’s Title: School Nurse
- Aflac Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
Position Purpose: Acts as a resource throughout the school by providing basic health care, medications, and first aid to sick or injured students and staff. Carries out nursing procedures for individual students as delegated by school nurse. Maintain and compile student health records files, data and reports.
- Provides minor and major first aid care to sick and injured students. Determine severity of illness/injury, calling 911 if necessary, monitoring chronically ill students, monitoring the exposure of others to diseases, disposing properly of body fluids and performing technical procedures as necessary (e.g. blood glucose testing, administering injectable epinephrine)
- Obtains and maintains certification in first aide, CPR/AED, and medication delegations.
- Attends trainings as required.
- Administers medication as delegated by school nurse and according to established protocol and guidelines
- Able to contact 911, EMS and/or school designated person in case of major illness or serious injury.
- Contacts parent/guardian or emergency contact for ill or injured students in accordance with school policy.
- Updates School Nurse regarding student health-related issues and student absences for health reasons.
- Maintains and implements Health Care Plans including substitute and field trip plans.
- Provides guidance to promote a safe and healthy lifestyle.
- Acts as school child abuse representative and assists with reporting suspected child abuse.
- Helps to address medical and emotional needs.
- Supervises behavior and monitors safety of students in health office and throughout the school
- Maintains all health records, physical and electronic, for students.
- Performs and coordinates vision and hearing screenings. Includes volunteer recruitment and data recording, referrals, and tracking follow up care.
- Documents the care and treatments provided to each student in a daily log record book. Enter all health information into the student information system.
- Provides reports as required for accidents, head injuries and infectious diseases.
- Maintains storage, security, and administration records.
- Assists the school nurse with implementing immunization law, including notification of non -compliance and maintenance of immunization record.
- Maintains supplies, reporting to school nurse when supplies are needed. Maintains equipment. Organizes manuals and updates as directed by school nurse. Maintains a clean, orderly health room.
- Works with building Crisis Response Team and maintains supplies.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Decision-Making: Ability to make sound decisions in crisis and emergency situations. Requires adept organizational, decision making and problem solving skills.
- Ability to diffuse and manage volatile and stressful situations.
- Ability to work with ill and injured students as well as students with special needs.
- Ability and willingness to have medical contact with and provide physical care for students.
- Works as a collaborative team player with staff and parents.
- Able to maintain confidentiality of health information.
- Must follow and comply with district policies, procedures, codes and appropriate health authority requirements.
- Ability and willingness to provide basic janitorial services in health room.
- Operating knowledge of health room equipment, thermometers, pulse ox, glucometer, and sphygmomanometer, or ability to learn. Basic health care knowledge. Ability to manage multiple tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Communication Skills: Proficient with oral, written, and interpersonal communication, as well as public relations and phone etiquette. Relays questions, anomalies and concerns to nurse as necessary.
Technical Skills: Operating knowledge of student information system (Infinite Campus) required within 2 months of hire. Operating knowledge of general office equipment required within 2 weeks of hire. Operating knowledge of and experience with personal computers, Google, Microsoft Word, Excel, and basic math required.
Minimum Qualifications Required To Perform The Duties Successfully:
· High School Diploma
· CNA/CMA and/or Associates preferred
· CPR/First Aid certification within 1 month of hire
· Experience in school health or health setting
· Completion of health aide training modules within 2 months of hire
Colorado Early Colleges is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.