Gas Utility Construction Specialist
Location: Palmer Lake, CO, United States
Job ID: 32717
Date Posted: Jan 10, 2020
Salary: $22.19 to $33.15 hourly
In this role you will design, estimate and manage the construction activities for basic residential customer construction services. Complete forms, design services, update inventory of parts in appropriate electronic system and create customer accounts. Ensure that customer accounts are set up correctly and that tariffs are consistently applied.
PAY RANGE: $21 - $32 per hour (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Utility Construction Planning Manager
LOCATION: Palmer Lake, CO
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Design, estimate and manage the construction activities for basic residential customer construction services. Complete necessary forms, design services, update inventory of parts in appropriate electronic systems and create customer accounts.
- Review job types/work in Service Request tool and assign appropriately.
- Utilize various computer programs to prepare estimates and design basic gas construction jobs including new services, maintenance (including service line replacements and retirements) and third-party damages.
- Ensure that all work on assigned projects is planned so that construction can be accomplished in a timely and cost-effective manner. Enter orders in system in order to be scheduled.
- Explain company construction policies and procedures to customers and work with customers to best satisfy needs.
- Assist with storm restoration as needed.
- Provide backup for Utility Construction Planners on work order preparation, customer contact, and technical assistance.
- Work with other departments to schedule construction of customer jobs to ensure that customer needs are satisfied to the greatest degree possible. Coordinate with customer, internal field crews and contractors.
- Write work orders for 3rd Party Damages.
- Assure that gas construction complies with company and industry codes and standards.
- Assure that contractors hired comply with company and OSHA safety rules.
- Monitor actual cost vs. estimated cost on all work orders; explain and justify significant variances.
- Assure that company policies, construction standards, work practices and safety practices are followed.
- Monitor gas crew’s work schedule to maintain efficient use of crews.
- Ensure accurate mapping of facilities.
- Code and approve contractor job invoices.
- Promote culture of safety, compliance, teamwork and continuous improvement.
- Perform and manage special projects that may be assigned.
- Exercise appropriate level of independent judgment on Company proprietary and confidential matters.
- Provide support to other areas of the Company as requested or assigned.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience managing project is required.
- Prior experience or knowledge of construction is helpful.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Knowledge of construction design software.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, multi-task environment as a collaborative team member.
- Independent, well-organized, self-starter and able to adapt to change.
- Ability to develop and implement work processes which contribute to increased efficiencies.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to accurately resolve customer complaints in a diplomatic and professional manner.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to professionally interface with customers and individuals across the organization.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to understand and utilize continuous improvement tools and concepts.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Ability to apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more) required to: use fingers and hands, communicate, and have close visual acuity. Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: reach, push/pull, ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and move about the office. The employee may occasionally (less than 33%) be required to: climb and reach. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level. No travel is required for this role.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
EOE, Including disability/vets.