About the job
Jorgenson Consulting has been retained to conduct a national search for a President and CEO of the Castle Rock Chamber of Commerce.
The President and CEO is ultimately responsible for the total operations of the Castle Rock Chamber of Commerce and the Castle Rock Chamber Foundation. The President and CEO serves as the primary staff point of contact for the officers, executive committee, board of directors, and elected officials.
Position: President and CEO
Reports to: Executive/Finance Committee
Direct Reports: 6
Operating Budget: $989,000
· Continually evaluate the Chamber's programs and services to maintain their effectiveness and efficiency; submit recommendations for improving programs and develop innovative new programs in keeping with current needs.
- Foster and develop collaborative relationships with the City of Castle Rock and Douglas County, the business community, elected officials, educational leaders, and the Castle Rock Economic Partnership.
- Continue the development and innovation around programs currently in the Chamber, like Leadership Douglas County, but also identify new programs that foster innovation and entrepreneurship.
· Lead and work with partners to develop initiatives and alliances that effectively address workforce development issues; address necessary workforce skills in developing a talent pipeline and programs to better connect K-12 with employers in developing their talent pipeline.
· Tell the Chamber's story by utilizing multiple technology platforms. Serve as an official spokesperson of the Chamber to the public at large and the local and regional print and electronic media. Communicate the organization's position on community, regional, public, and political issues.
- Serve as one of the principal advocates for the business community and affiliated stakeholders on governmental affairs that affect business members. Identify and analyze issues of interest to the business community and assist in promoting community consensus. Work with the Board and other volunteers to proactively identify key issues and challenges that affect business interests and the overall Castle Rock region.
- Provide leadership to the Chamber executing successful funding activities, including sponsorships, development programs, grants, advertising, special events, membership dues, and non-dues revenue campaigns.
- The President and CEO will maintain significant involvement with Board development and recruitment while ensuring the Board, governance bodies, and volunteer committees are adequately informed and actively engaged in supporting the mission and programs of the Chamber.
- Continue to support the Chamber's signature community events while adding a fresh perspective on the look and feel of each event.
- Think beyond traditional membership outreach methods and identify ways the Chamber can connect with the next generation of Chamber leaders.
Liaison to the Board of Directors
Supporting Goal: To ensure that leadership volunteers can perform their duties efficiently and effectively.
- Work with the Board of Directors in the development and implementation of the Chamber's annual Business Plan and is the point person in the drafting and monitoring of the progress of the Business Plan, staff, committees, and task forces.
- Develops the Chamber's annual budget with the Treasurer and Executive/Finance Committee. In addition to being responsible for all expenditures. This includes seeking efficiencies in all financial procedures.
- Ensures the Chamber's policies are properly administered and interpreted by staff and Board.
- Work with staff members on developing proposals and tactical plans in revenues, public relations, and member relations that will provide adequate support for all Chamber programs.
- Oversee development and submission for Accreditation from the US Chamber of Commerce.
- Work with staff members to develop proposals to ensure financial resources meet operational/program needs.
- Represent the Chamber before elected/civic/community groups to ensure that the public is adequately informed of the Chamber's mission and activities.
Internal Operations Management
Supporting Goal: To ensure that the Chamber functions effectively to meet the expectations of membership.
- Develop and administer operating systems and procedures to implement, monitor, control, and assure compliance with approved policies, plans, programs, and budgets.
- Analyze financial data and reports, working with the Treasurer to stay apprised of the organization's financial condition. Recommend courses of action when necessary and/or requested.
- Bring to the attention of the Executive Committee any incidences, trends, actions, and events which may impact Chamber members and/or the community.
Supporting Goal: Serve as the personnel manager, ensuring that the office is adequately staffed/equipped to enhance the quality and productivity of the organization.
- Supervise and coordinate the duties and actions of personnel.
- Develop employee retention policies and controls that provide the framework and capability for the Chamber to attract and retain competent employees.
- Administer employee benefits plan.
Supporting Goal: Ensure the Chamber Board, committees, and task-forces are developed, staffed, and organized in a manner that allows for the successful execution of the Business Plan.
- Act as the lead in coordinating the Board of Directors, Executive/Finance Committee, Business Advocacy, and Leadership programming.
- Plan and organize meetings that motivate board/committee members to accomplish the organization's mission and goals.
- Supervise the setting of agendas, record, and file all minutes and assist the Chairman with recruiting and selecting volunteers to serve on the Board and committees, etc.
- Assure adequate communication of the activities of the board/committees to Chamber members, the media, and the community at large.
- Ensure that budgets, deadlines, policies, and procedures for the Board and committees are kept as directed in the annual Business Plan.
- Make use of available software applications to ensure the members and the general public view the Chamber as a respected, professional, and efficient organization.
- Serve as a program liaison to assist staff members on projects, programs, and events.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- History of creating programs and initiatives that focuses on increasing economic vitality and quality of life.
- Successful experience forging productive alliances across private, public, and governmental sectors and leading public/private partnerships.
· Has actively promoted an organization, track record of membership retention, increased value, and appropriate expansion.
· Experience effectively developing and managing programs and interactions within and outside of the Chamber.
· Demonstrated ability to manage the financial affairs of an organization and communicate effectively with investors.
· Understanding of workforce training and development issues and implementing programs in collaboration with educational partners to address needs.
· Strong background interacting and communicating with multiple audiences at the public, private, and media level; strong public speaking abilities. Ability to effectively articulate goals, objectives, and policy positions of the Chamber to the media and the community.
· Excellent listener; outstanding written and oral communication skills; effective presentation skills to multiple audiences.
· Experience bringing groups and individuals together around complex issues.
· Experience with governance issues and Board of Directors interactions.
Skills and Knowledge
· Demonstrates servant leadership and fosters the development of a common vision
· Skilled in resource development and strategies
· Collaborative partner that will build trusting relationships throughout the community
· Builds interpersonal, Chamber, and community relationships
· Demonstrates effective communication and public speaking abilities
· Possesses mature self-confidence
· Practice effective staff and leadership management
· Demonstrated knowledge of public policy planning
· Ability to deal effectively with the public in a professional manner and is an effective collaborator
· Demonstrates self-management and organizational skills; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
· Experience with governance issues and Board of Directors interactions.
· Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
· Business savvy possessing financial and resource management acumen
· Advanced computer proficiency (Microsoft Office Suites)
· Valid driver's license and use of vehicle
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university is required, supplemented by five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in Chamber of Commerce and/or Organizational Management experience.
Professional certification is desirable.
The Castle Rock Chamber President and CEO annual salary range is from $95,000 to $130,000 and commensurate with experience and qualifications. This includes the following benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Retirement, and relocation assistance for out of the region candidates.
Candidates for this position will be evaluated by Jorgenson Consulting. Only a limited number of the most highly qualified applicants meeting the job responsibilities and organizational focus will be invited to participate in the interview process. For consideration, please submit a letter of interest and résumé to Todd Jorgenson CastleRock@jci-inc.net